Saturday, March 21, 2009

And so it begins...


I want to tell you a story...

Once upon a time there was a girl who had a lovely smallish-sort of garden nestled around a cottage on a quaint little street. For hours each day, she poured her heart and soul into the smallish garden and beautiful things would appear. She was an artist and the beds were her canvas. She used a trowel like a painter uses a brush. Instead of paint she used seeds, tender starts and soil. The little garden was a place of solace in troubled times and a space filled with laughter and joy when nothing much needed celebrating. Roses climbed the walls and filled the air with perfume. Pots spilled over with geraniums. It was filled with the color of sunshine in the spring. Ripples of rainbows washed over it in summer. And in the autumn it used every last bit of energy it had to burst forth in crimsons, golds and rust.  Finally when winter came, it would rest covered in a blanket of snow. It was a little piece of heaven on earth.  One day the girl went away on an adventure. The garden had a new caretaker. The flowers still bloomed, the roses climbed. And always there was a smallish part of the girl blooming in the little garden.

Gardening, planting, creating is all a part of me. Somewhere over the years it became a force that defined me. I could fill my soul while on my hands and knees in the dirt. It was a time I could talk with my maker and hear him communicate through my surroundings. It is who I am. When I left my garden and moved to the city, I told myself I could take a break. I thought how wonderful it would be to spend a summer with fingernails not full of soil. I imagined how much more time I would have to read good books, go swimming, play at the park. And just think of the money I would save by not buying beautiful, glorious, delicious plants. It didn't work. I can't shut that girl away. She is in there waiting for the chance to get her hands dirty. 

This is my solution. This blog is going to be my soil. I am thinking about plants, gardening, designing, arranging all the time, so I am going to plant my ideas, thought, tips, whatever here. Hopefully it will appease the garden-girl in me enough to get me through a summer without a yard. I hope that something I say will help you try something new in your yard or gain the confidence to tackle a project or just keep your tomatoes from having blossom-end rot. 

I don't know about you but I am itching to get my hands dirty and start planting.

Ciao!

12 comments:

  1. Mishel, If I send you pictures of my yard, can you help me design something great? My kids love to play outside all day every day so I could work on making my backyard another room of the house where people can gather. I showed Erin pictures of your garden and she and I were wishing we could have you help, so this blog is the answer I was looking for! :)Rachel Brotherson-Adams

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am such a novice but have the desire to learn. My dad was a master vegetable gardener and I grew up on a half acre lot in the mouth of a canyon. It was our own personal Narnia full of fruit trees, herb gardens, grape and berry patches, you name it. All perfectly tended and manicured. I'd love to learn more about flowers and decorative plants! I know you are an expert with a lot of tips and tricks up your sleeves. I can't wait to keep up on this blog as well.
    -Jessica
    P.S. I love how beautifully your write. Your words definitely put wonderful images in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. finally, some useful gardening advice! (at least I'm betting it will be useful). I despise every march issue of martha stewart because it is so full of gardening stuff that I is so unrealistic for me. i'm excited for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the exact same sentiments as Rachel. I'm so excited to read this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new blog!
    Love the URL!
    Love the title!
    Love your writings!
    Love your gift!
    Love that you share it with us!
    Love YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so wish we had a garden too! Lovely imagery you conjured up there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I actually got so itchy to plant something today, cause it was so sunny, that I dug up a 6' x 6' plot in front of my condo... hopefully no one will care. There's nothing there anyway since they tore out the humongous bush that used to live there because we had a gas leak about a month ago and they had to dig. Anyway, I'm definately going to follow this blog and get some tips. I'm a little concerned that my tomatoes and squash won't grow well in my little plot because it's shady after 4pm and there's also a lot of deer and rabbits around here. Lots of things to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was actually Juliana that posted the last comment, not Ammon. I didn't realized he was logged on and not me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea... Looking forward to the day we can all have garden's again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shel,
    I love your new blog! Your story made me cry...You are wonderful. I look forward to keeping up on your writing of it. I hope it helps appease some of your yearning for your yard.
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband and I are the lucky recipients of the cottage and garden Mishel left behind in Utah. It's been thrilling to witness hyacinths, daffodils, tulips, and other perennials peek through the cold soil this early Spring. Yesterday I knelt down to take in the scent of some of the dozens of bright pink and white hyacinths in full bloom around a large tree in the front yard.Thanks, Mishel, for planting so many perennials that just appear without any work on our part.

    ReplyDelete